Prof. Heinrich Josef Rumphorst, born 1934, studied Latin, Greek, Old History, Philosophy and Archeology in Berlin and Münster. 1962 state-exam; 1962–1963 teacher at the German School in Rome, from 1963 teacher at the Canisius-Kolleg Berlin and 1972 to 2000 vice-principal.
First encounter with Gregorian Chant beginning 1940s through recordings from Beuron, Sant’Anselmo, Rome and Solesmes. From early 1950s member of the Berliner Choralschola, (dir. Anton Grönewäller, former first cantor of the Benedictine abbey of Gerleve). 1957–1959 director of the Schola Gregoriana of the Catholic student association Berlin, 1965–2008 director of the Berliner Choralschola. From June 1971 study of Gregorian semiology with the Benedictine monks Liudger Sabottka, Martin Uhlenbrock and Godehard Joppich.
1976–1993 lecturer for Gregorian Chant at the Hochschule der Künste Berlin, 1996–2001 and at the Hochschule für Musik und Theater „Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy“ in Leipzig. Since 1983 lecturer at the AISCGre courses in Germany (e.g. Münsterschwarzach, Goslar, St. Ottilien) and Italy (Cremona, Abbazia di Rosazzo); from 1977 teaching Semiology for the Benedictine abbey St. Gertrud in Alexanderdorf; 2014–2015 invited lecturer at the Pontifical Institute for Sacred Music, Rome.
1979–1991 AISCGre vice-president, 1994–2011 chariman of the German-speaking section of AISCGre. Since 2011 member of the AISCGre board of directors. Since 1985 co-editor of the bi-annual publication „Beiträge zur Gregorianik“, BzG (ConBrio Verlag, Regensburg); since 1977 member of the working group for melody restoration, since 1996 its coordinator.
1967 Honorary Member of the Coro Franco Maria Saraceni degli Universitari di Roma
1990 Commendatore of the Pontifical Order of St. Sylvester
2009 St. Hedwig’s Medal in Silver of the Berlin diocese
2009 Orlando di Lasso Medal oft he German Cecilian Association (ACV)